I will rebuild you. You will be stronger, faster, smarter… BETTER!
[See: Reorg. Part 1: DEMOLISH for prequel info]
Well, it’s done. Mostly. I took the box apart last week or so, reconfigured some stuff, removed and re-seated the CPU, added an older 500 gig HDD… and then, installed Mythbuntu. er… 3 times actually. Yeah, took me 3 install attempts to get it working right. Not sure exactly HOW I screwed up the first 2, but #3 was the winner by far. Here’s a sample of my progression:
Install FAILED miserably due to selecting the wrong drive. Yes folks. Instead of simply setting up a fresh install on the new 500gig HDD, for some reason i told the installer to put it on the original 750gig drive. I dunno exactly why. Something about how SATA was set up in the bios and I got a little confused. I’m really lucky that I didn’t over-wright the entire disc. Seriously, could have lost 1000 episodes of Charmed that I’ve been saving for my *ahem* daughter.
Install FTW!! yay! OS installed without a hitch [Mythbuntu 11.04], although it did hog some bandwidth with updates and such. Dylan got a little pissed because he was trying to watch something on Netflix at this time, and it kept losing the connection. 2 things got screwy on this install which is why I had to try, try again: 1) I did …something… to LIRC. Still not exactly sure, but it worked at first, except that it was reading each buttonpress twice. I checked the usual sites and forums for the answer and edited some config files, and then it completely broke, and I couldn’t get it working again. I probably could have fixed it eventually if it weren’t for 2) Frakking BOXEE. Apparently, every time Ubuntu gets upgraded to a new version something happens that breaks Boxee. The reason is almost always that Boxee is behind the times. This time around it’s a dependancie issue. Some little media player’s library was updated and most major OSs went with the NEW version, effectively dropping the OLD version from all repositories. Unfortunatly, Boxee depended on the OLD library. There was a long and convoluted way to edit the .deb file so that it would use the NEW library, but there was also something about it messing up HULU and some other stuff, so it became painfully obvious that the only solution was to:
Beautimus. Downloaded and installed Mythbuntu 10.10. Slightly older version, sure. whatev. BUT, everything fucking works out of the BOX YO! LIRC didn’t have the same duplicate button press issue, Boxee and Hulu Desktop installed without a hitch, and with 2 small copy-paste codes into the main menu file, I had a nice *working* interface. There was one little issue with the sound being incredibly low. But that was fixed easily with some careful adjustments to ALSA mixer (EVERYTHINGGOESUPTOTHEMAXIMUM!).
Yeah baby! now everything WORKS, and functions and is pretty awesome. Now I just need to find a nice, cheap little dual PCI (not e) tuner card and we’re golden. Anyways, that was over a week ago, so I’ll try to get some screen shots of the new system one of these days… maybe. Working VER HARD on secret project#2 right now.
piece, we’re OUT!